Thought Leadership Blog
Attending AONE 2017? We hope to see you there!03/23/17
Thousands of nurse leaders will attend AONE 2017 in Baltimore to celebrate 50 years of inspiring leaders. We are excited to take part in the collaborative environment and connect with colleagues from across the country, learn the latest innovations and rejuvenate our passion as a nurse leader!
Visit us at booth 508 | March 29- April 1st in Baltimore
The Millennial Nurse-Force03/10/17
More than one in three American workers today are Millennials, adults ages 18 to 35. According to the Pew Research Center analysis of the U.S. Census Bureau, 2015 data showed that Millennials surpassed Generation-Xers in becoming the largest share of the American workforce.
The impact of the Millennial workforce can pose unique challenges in health care and hospitals. To make certain that any health system is successful, it is important that healthcare facilities understand how to engage the most talented Millennial nurse-force and then assure that they succeed.
- Financial security however with great importance on an innovative work environment
- Versatility and flexibility in the workplace
- Strong work-life balance in their jobs
- Opportunities for leadership not necessarily with an advanced title but rather in an expansive role that makes a difference
- Organizations with fewer layers of management with greater focus on communication and relationship building
The Millennial Challenge
What should current organizational leaders do with a continued increase of the numbers of Millennials in their workforce?
- Establish new, diverse, and creative ways for employees to impact the organization
- Welcome non-traditional approaches in work schedules and requirements
- Applaud the proliferation of media and digital technologies for communication and education
- Explore non-conventional career growth opportunities
- Reward employee-driven efforts and initiatives that support organizational transformation
Nursing leaders in health care are challenged with a changing employee workforce accompanied with the demands of the 24-7 nature of a health care setting. Leaders must be creative in fostering a professional work environment that promotes nursing staff engagement.
A solution for leadership transition is Interim Nursing Leadership through Kirby Bates Associates. Interim nursing leaders from KBA provide support and preserve an organization’s RN resources along with continued attention to the hospital and patient care agenda.
Explore interim nursing leadership with KBA, you’ll be glad you did!
Prepare For Growth: Promote From Within02/24/17
Promoting internally carries significant benefits. Promoting from within fosters productivity, retention and enhances morale. Numbers indicate that internal promotion can save up to 11 times the base salary when compared to hiring an outside candidate.
Unfortunately, without a strong leadership development program, organizations helplessly fall into a hiring spiral, wasting or losing internal talent, overspending on outside resources and stifling morale and productivity.
Stop the spiral and develop a “Promote From Within Culture”
Successful organizations have established programs preparing up and coming talent to step into expanded leadership positions when the need arises. These leaders require minimal onboarding as they already have a deep knowledge of the organization's goals, systems, and workflow. High-impact development programs use a competency-based coaching process that pinpoints needed areas of skill development and produces custom-fit leaders for any scenario.
Using the KBA Competency-Based Program, individuals learn and apply critical skills including:
- financial management
- human resource administration
- performance and quality improvement
- foundational thinking skills
- strategic and business processes
- political awareness
- employee engagement strategies
- communication techniques
- appropriate application of standards of practice and performance
Don’t let valuable talent leak out of your organization. Halt the loss and foster a culture of internal promotion. Investing in these individuals will enable you to retain your top talent and solidify the ongoing mission of your unique healthcare organization.